Where’s Britain?

…was the question I asked the waitress in Les Loups des Mers (Sea Bass), a very nice little cafe on the Avenue de la Plage in Bourgenay. Strange question? Look at this…


See what I mean? Brittany’s missed off too. The owner explained that when they were redecorating, they wanted an old looking world map for the wall. They found this on the internet, had a huge poster made and put it up. Only later did customers start to comment. Apparently, the map dates from a time when the French and English were constantly fighting each other (surely not), and whoever made the map simply left off the countries he didn’t like.

If the English made a map of the world using those criteria, ie, leave out all those with whom you’ve ever picked a fight, the world map would only have England on it.

Finally; Drum Assembly

The turntable worked very well. In this picture…


…you can see that I can stand upright, so no back strain. Also, the drum has to be turned incrementally as the hardware is put back on. The swivel means that the rims are not being scraped and, of course, the whole operation is a lot less effort.

I began with the Bass Drum…

  

Then both toms…

  

 

…and finally, the snare drum. This took a whole afternoon just for that. Assembling the Lugs was easy. First, a couple of finger turns on each screw…

 

Once all the lugs were loosely attached, I used a small hand drill to take up the bulk of the slack…

 

…then finished with a screwdriver…

 

You can imagine how the turntable made this operation very quick. I reckon half an hour for each drum. Assembling the snare mechanism took a good couple of hours. This was where I discovered that, although I thought I was being diligent with my photography during dismantling, there were still key areas where I didn’t have enough images to help me. Quite a bit of time had to be spent comparing different images, just to get a sense of where a tiny part goes. Maybe I have to rethink my process a bit; it’s obviously slightly deficient. Here’s a picture of the snare drum completed…


…and a couple of before and afters…



Each lug had to have a new piece of foam inserted in it before it could be attached. The foam stops the rods and springs rattling, a common fault with cheaper drums. I destroyed the original foam on removal of all the lugs, but it had deteriorated anyway. I made new foam blocks from kitchen cleaning pads…


First, I marked them up. The green line is the centre cut line. The black line is a “this way up” line…


Dividing….


Peeling off the scourer…


Cutting… 

  

…and fitted in a group of lugs…


I bought new skins for all the drums. 30 years ago, I obviously preferred Remo, but now Evans has the best website and the most choice, so I went with them…


Nearly done.

Advertisements