Triton Circular Saw Refurbishment E3

On inspection, I found a couple of issues to deal with.

  • Rust spots on the blade
  • A stiff armature bearing
  • A stiff and sticking trigger

The rust spots were easy to resolve. I coated them liberally in my non toxic rust remover gel, covered the whole blade in cling film and left it alone for a while…


After a while, I scrubbed it with wire wool using the gel itself as a lubricant. This got rid of most of the rust but it needed another application to make sure. This had the added bonus of completely cleaning the resin off the teeth; something worth bearing in mind. This was when I found the two missing teeth. I’ve no idea when this happened, but I must have made loads of cuts completely unaware they were missing, so it obviously has no effect on the quality of the cut. Blades can be replaced, though.

This is the outer bearing on the armature…

The contraption is just to hold it upright. It wouldn’t spin freely. The cure? A few drops of oil. This also cured the sticky trigger.

The bearing housings were full of grease impregnated with dust…

…so I cleaned them and the rest of the casings with GUNK…

The result…

No evidence of damage or wear. As far as the motor armature and the coils was concerned, I cleaned those with brushes and a hoover; no water or cleaning fluid got near them.

Assembly

First the brush loops were slipped back over their contacts, the coils slid back in and the wiring relaid as it was…

This is where detail photography comes in; to refer back to. Reconnecting and repacking the trigger assembly…

With the handle cover back on and the black plastic spacer in place, the armature simply drops in…

With the bearing and gear greased and the armature lock put in place, the blade housing can be dropped on…

In that last photo you can see that the lock spring has to go into the housing in a certain way. That was fiddly. The two halves secured together again…

With greasing as you go, the reduction gear was refitted…

Next the blade guard was refitted, taking care with the shims once again, not to mention the spring …

Next, final assembly…

…which was quite straightforward, making good use of the multitude of pictures.

The completed saw…

I was worried by that erstwhile sticky trigger, but when I plugged it in, it worked ! Phew.

Advertisements