Topping off…

…I’m so frustrated! No matter how many times I measure and cut this piece of wood, it’s still too short…

I’m not frustrated with this Lathe, tho’. Big Bad TED has been tamed and I’m almost done with this rebuild. Apart from the Pulley cover problem. And the tool posts. And the tools. And the alignment. And the chucks. And the Vertical Milling Attachment. And the other stuff…

OK, I’m nowhere near done. But I’m almost at the stage where I can run it with a piece of metal in it. When I find out where to get metal.

Yep, lots to do. But who would want it any other way? It’s the way with big projects.

This is a Top Slide – or Compound Slide – with a tool post on it…

IMG_3657-0.JPG
Undo the big nut and the tool post comes off…

IMG_3660.JPG
Mechanically, it’s very similar to the Cross Slide…

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG
The two light coloured oblongs attached through the curved slots are T nuts and engage into these T shaped slots in the Cross Slide…

IMG_3611.JPG
In this picture of the Cross Slide you can see all five T slots, allowing for different positions of the Top Slide. I’m still wondering what the hole is for…

IMG_3622.JPG
As with the Cross Slide, the Top Slide came apart quite easily. Unwinding the Feedscrew from its Nut…

IMG_3664.JPG
…allows the Top Slide Base Assembly to be slid out of its dovetailed ways…

IMG_3673.JPG
The Feedscrew Nut got stuck…

IMG_3677.JPG
…so I knocked it out with a dowel…

IMG_3676.JPG
The two main body parts showing muck and grime…

IMG_3678.JPG
Here’s all the parts after cleaning in The Usual Manner…

IMG_3679.JPG
The small parts are corralled with scrap wood to contain them for hot air drying.

Advertisements