Looks like a pain…?

…the funny thing is, there are still some people who think the documentary series “Star Trek” was actually faked up in a studio with actors!

Funny how you look at something over the months, and after a while you convince yourself that it’s going to be an absolute pain in the bum to dismantle and put back together. You keep putting it off. But will it be a pain? Only one way to find out.

I’m talking about this…

IMG_0258.PNG
This entire group is called the Carriage Assembly. This is the final Assembly to be dealt with, then I’m finished. I’m on track to get this completed by The Course next Thursday.

The major assemblies are:

A Saddle
B Apron
C Cross Slide
D Top Slide
E Tool Holder

I took the Cross Slide off and put it and the Top Slide to one side for later. This is the Saddle, with the Cross Slide removed but with the Apron still attached…

IMG_0259.PNG
This is a view from underneath…

IMG_0260.PNG
There’s just three bolts hold the Apron to the underside of the Saddle. This is the Apron on its own…

IMG_0261.PNG
F Leadscrew Guard
G Cam Lever
H Handwheel Assembly

Turning the Cam Lever either opens or closes the split Leadscrew Nut. Here it’s open…

IMG_0262.PNG
…and closed…

IMG_3480.JPG
Years of muck to be cleaned off. When the Nut is closed, it engages the Leadscrew and the Leadscrew can then motor drive the whole Carriage Assembly along the bed. When the Nut is open the Handwheel Assembly can be used to manually drive the Carriage Assembly along the bed, by turning these cogs…

IMG_3499.JPG
…engaged on this Rack…

IMG_0263.PNG
Unbolting the Cam Lever allows access to these screws…

IMG_3485.JPG
…which, when undone, allows the Nuts to be slid out of their dovetailed ways…

IMG_3487.JPG
The screws on the right tension a Gib Strip which can be seen between the Nuts and one side. The Gib Strip allows tight tolerances on Nut movement. One dirty Nut…

IMG_3490.JPG
There was no issues with dismantling the rest of the Apron. Not as much of a pain as I thought.

This is all the parts soaking in GUNK…

IMG_3505.JPG
After the Standard Cleaning Process…

IMG_3510-1.JPG

IMG_3511-1.JPG

IMG_3512-1.JPG

IMG_3513-1.JPG
That last picture is of a Thread Counter. Something to do with cutting threads and going back to where you left off. Or something.

I polished everything then reassembly was straightforward. I used a good amount of the VG32. Here’s the wee cogs back in…

IMG_3514.JPG
The Thread Counter back on…

IMG_3515.JPG
…the Pesky Thread Counter the right way round…

IMG_3516.JPG
…the Leadscrew Nuts and their Gib Strip back together…

IMG_3521.JPG
…the complete Apron from the rear…

IMG_3523.JPG
…and from the front…

IMG_3522.JPG
The body of the Apron didn’t come up looking clean; but it is clean. It has some kind of dark patina on it.

Not at all a pain. So far so good…

Advertisements