Headstock finale

…Schrodinger’s cat must be dead by now…

…so there’s no need to open the box. Does anyone get his cat thing apart from Sheldon Cooper?

Funny the nonsense with which you can occupy your mind when you’re not fit to work. Too many things came to a head and now my Doc won’t let me fly for a while. Fine. I’ll get stuff done. Including reading science stuff so that I can pretend to be intelligent a little longer.

Part of the fun of this renovation is figuring out why some bits don’t work as well when you put them back together. The logic path is; if they worked before, they can be made to work again. If they don’t work as well as before, then something’s not right or there is an adjustment to be done. Look at this picture again…

20140730-175532-64532256.jpg
These are the little Gear Studs and up until now I hadn’t noticed that the smaller diameter shaft is eccentric. When I reassembled the 20T and 18T Tumbler Gears onto them and the Tumbler Sleeve Gear below them…

20140730-180101-64861657.jpg
…they wouldn’t turn properly. Initially I thought they were too tight, or that they had worn themselves into a set way (lubrication hasn’t been a strong point in the past, it seems), but then I noticed that as I was tightening the nut at the back, the Stud revolved and the Gear translated in a regular manner perpendicular to the axis (it moved a bit). When I took them off, then I could see the eccentricity. What a relief! The Tumbler Gears weren’t worn, they were extremely well designed! The eccentricity in the Stud enables translational adjustment.

Next, the lower Spindle Bearings were fitted to the Headstock and the Spindle Assembly dropped back in, using a good amount of oil…

20140730-181203-65523496.jpg
Then the upper Spindle Bearings and Shims…

20140730-181308-65588187.jpg
…and finally, the Bearing Caps were bolted back on…

20140730-181411-65651214.jpg
The Sight-feed Lubricators can be seen in the background. They screw into the holes in the Bearing Caps and drip oil through holes in the upper Spindle Bearings, lubricating the Spindle. I didn’t fit those yet in case they get broken during future assembly operations. I put a lot of oil in the holes, though, and turned the Spindle Assembly by hand to spread it.

The entire Headstock Assembly was bolted to the Bed. There were three sizes of bolt and they had to go in the right holes. Each went through a different thickness of the Headstock, this picture, from the rear, illustrates…

20140730-182826-66506207.jpg
Once I know what I’m doing, I’ll be able to adjust things more finely, but for the time being, I oiled it as much as I could, refering to the Lubrication Chart in the manual. The Lathe so far…

20140730-183123-66683541.jpg

20140730-183122-66682816.jpg

Next up, the Motorising Assembly. Oh, there’s a cat…

Advertisements