A bit of a shock…

…not really; just a bit out of date. That’s my impression of the electrics of this lathe.

I don’t know if this motor and electrics are original or not, but certainly they look like they were “added on” at some point. Also, there is no emergency stop switch, so I’ll have to add one.

The electrical system is there just to carry power to and to control the motor, which drives the lathe spindle via pulleys and belts. Here’s all the components…

20140303-171752.jpg

Clockwise from top left: black power cable and plug, motor, forward/reverse/off switch block, original connecting block, on/off switch, internal connecting cables.

The ends of the wires from the motor have some new connecting blocks already fitted.

You can see some labels on each wire. At least I had the common sense to label it all up as I went along the dismantling trail. The reason for all the wires is that the motor and power connect to a block which was mounted on the back wall of the Base, like this…

20140303-172602.jpg

The black and red wires from the motor have already been removed. They went into the top of the block at positions 5 to 8. The black and red wires at the bottom of the block at positions 5 to 8 continue inside to the front of the base and connect to the forward/reverse/off switch block. You can see that the power cable connects to the top of the block at positions 3 and 4, with more black and red wires coming out the bottom and disappearing inwards. The yellow wire is an earth wire and connects to the power cable green earth wire at the metal strap. The motor has a fifth green earth wire. Simples. I drew a diagram as I labeled each wire…

20140303-173800.jpg

As I was studying this the other day, two things struck me. A, I labeled stuff in a confusing manner, and 2, the on/off switch top left seemed to be connected in parallel with the forward/reverse/off switch. Which means it won’t work, right?

To find out, I connected everything back together on the bench, according to the labels and the diagram…

20140303-174739.jpg

…and tried it out. It all works. The motor runs sweetly and quietly. The forward/reverse/off switch works fine. I didn’t use the original connecting block as it was damaged. The on/off switch has no effect whatsoever, as suspected. This is it…

20140303-175059.jpg

I’ll install it back in the Base, as the front panel will look odd without it, but I won’t connect it. The forward/reverse/off switch and the emergency stop switch will be enough.

With that switch removed, I set everything out in a logical flow to simplify things. You can see power wires coming in from the left, through the forward/reverse/off switch and out via wires to the right to the motor…

20140303-175924.jpg

I’ll dispense with the back wall connection and replace all these wires with some 5 core heavy duty cable. And put an emergency stop switch between the plug and the forward/reverse/off switch. Them wiggly amps will have an easier ride…

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “A bit of a shock…

  1. I have got to say with all the work you are putting into this I would be seriously considering repainting. Now is an ideal time, it will delay you using it but I think it would be worth the wait. What do other people think?

  2. Just wonder whether painting it would ruin its ‘vintage charm’. I’d like to see it for real to get a better view on whether a coat of paint would enhance its appearance. . . . .

  3. Some of it is pretty scruffy, but it might just be dirt. Another point is that when I used GUNK on The Base, it seemed to soften the paint, and GUNK is my cleaning fluid. Perhaps, I should remove it all and put on a more modern robust paint that will withstand cutting fluid and lubricant and metal shavings. Or what about no paint? A natural metal finish a la B17?

  4. You can’t leave it “Au naturale” it ‘ill roost lad, Why don’t you speak to Myford chaps in Yorkshire.

  5. Yet another interesting and informative post, I will need to read up on step drills. One point though, can I urge you to fit a grommet where the new cable passes through the existing hole, There seems enough space to fit one, its just incase vibrations allow the cable to chaff against the metal case and it becomes live. Probably an over reaction on my part but i am very wary of “leccy.

  6. I think you’re right. There was a grommet in the original hole in the back, but it was damaged when I took it out and the thickness of the material it would have to span has increased so I don’t know if it’ll fit back.

    I’ll look for something similar to fit on The Base. There will be three holes requiring protection so it’ll be worth it.

Comments are closed.