Scraping by…

An architect knows a little about everything. An engineer knows a lot about one thing…

I’ve noticed that I didn’t publish pictures of the process of scraping and finishing the Maple Feet.

Here is a picture showing an untouched Foot on the left. The dirt is accumulated during the making process. Easy to see why finishing is left until the very last minute. On the right is the other foot after scraping…

20140302-111526.jpg

I carried on scraping all round, even the end grain. Then I chamfered all the edges using the Number 5 1/2 for the long edges and the Number 60 1/2 block plane for the short edges. Here’s two pictures of the completed Maple Feet…

20140302-111941.jpg

20140302-111958.jpg

Finally, I put on three coats of Danish Oil and allowed to dry. I left 12 hours between coats. For the first two coats the process was: brush on liberally, then after a couple of minutes, wipe off the excess with a cloth. For the last coat I applied the oil with a kitchen scouring sponge, which has the effect of smoothing imperfections from the previous coats and creating a smoother satin effect finish. Again, the excess was wiped off with a cloth. This is the Maple Feet finished…

20140302-112635.jpg

…and mounted on the base…

20140302-114005.jpg

20140302-114021.jpg

All that took exactly a month. A bit of a detour from the lathe refurbishment, but it’ll pay off in the long run.

Off and on during the last month I’ve been looking at the electrics. More about that coming soon..

Advertisements

One thought on “Scraping by…

Comments are closed.