Card Scraper Sharpening..

It’s a long time since I last sharpened a card scraper and I don’t remember doing it right, so I watched a couple of DVDs about how to go about it. One was by Christopher Schwarz and the other by Rob Cosman.

Both had good tips.

I have two card scrapers and ended up sharpening both by slightly different methods, just to experiment.

First, I had to clean each scraper. They both had various marks on them and also had burrs on their edges from previous attempts.

I “stuck” a sheet of 400 g wet and dry to my reference block with water…

20140224-200925.jpg

Cleaning Method One. I put double sided tape on one scraper then stuck it to a block of wood…

20140224-201118.jpg
…then rubbed it on the paper…

20140224-201228.jpg
That worked ok, but it was a pain to peel it off, peel off the tape and do it all again on the other face. So…

Cleaning Method Two. I tried using some magnetic clamps on the other scraper…

20140224-201439.jpg
That worked a lot better. I could also flex the scraper, which meant I could clean near the edges which is the critical part. So Method Two it’ll be then.

Next, the edges. Method One was to mark on one edge with a marker pen..

20140224-201854.jpg
…then file it flat and square with a smooth file in a jig..

20140224-201947.jpg
That gets it square and flat, but leaves file marks. So then I had to use my sharpening stones to polish the edge. First, the 1200 g waterstone. Using the block to keep it square, I moved it back and forth until the file marks were gone…

20140224-202233.jpg
…then finished up on the 6000 g stone. That got the edges polished, but wore grooves in the stones, which had to be dressed out. That’s a black mark against that method, so…

Method Two. Instead of using the file and the stones, I processed the other scraper’s edges on Wet and Dry on the reference plate. In succession, I used 400, 1200 and 2500 grit paper, using the block to keep square. That was quick, easy and got, I think, a better polish on the edges. No dressing of stones after. Method Two, 2, Method One, nil.

20140225-090539.jpg
This is the edge…

20140225-090630.jpg

Next, I used the David Charlesworth Ruler Trick (DCRT) on the face edges…

20140225-091109.jpg
That was on the 6000g stone. I also tried the 2500g paper. No discernable difference in polish. Probably use the paper, as Method Two will be set up at that point.

I used my Hock Burnisher to consolidate the face side edges…

20140225-091457.jpg
…by moving it back and forth with reasonable pressure. Next I turned the burr…

20140225-091627.jpg
…tilting over by about 10 degrees. These are some shavings…

20140225-091733.jpg
I didn’t feel that I got excellent results, though. There seemed to be a lot of dust as well as shavings. That usually means the burr isn’t quite there, or perhaps it’s the way I hold it. On the plus side, both scrapers certainly cleaned up the Maple Feet.

I’ll experiment further in the future.

Advertisements