Hinge was missing her Bracket…

…Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him who taunts me…

That was a surprise; that self retracting castor. Logical when you analyse it, though. This is the problem…

20140220-223503.jpg
In the left picture, the axis of the wheel A is far from the hinge at B and the direction of rotation – red arrow – all helps to keep the castor flat under the Foot. In the right picture, the axis of the wheel A is so close to the hinge B that the direction of rotation helps to rotate the entire assembly anti clockwise, around the hinge axis.

The solution is a bracket to hold it in place. Here’s one I’ve already screwed to a support block ready to drill…

20140220-224930.jpg

Why drill a hole? The existing hole on one leaf – where the screw is – finds itself too far out as that leaf is too long to fit on the castor plate, so needs cutting. The above picture shows a mark made closer to the angle, where the new hole will go. The HCPD was set up again…

20140220-225504.jpg

…the hole drilled and the outer portion of the leaf cut off…

20140220-225804.jpg

I made four…

20140220-225923.jpg

A corresponding hole was drilled in each castor plate…

20140220-230101.jpg

The angle plate and the castor are joined with a 4mm bolt and nut. This picture shows why the angle plate had to be altered on one leaf…

20140220-230400.jpg

This is the castor reassembled on to the hinge and Foot. Under the head of the 4mm bolt, I drilled a recess, so the castor plate would still be flush. A pilot hole was drilled in the Foot and a 5mm by 25mm screw fitted…

20140220-230951.jpg

I cut off the little 4mm bolt close to the nut. The Base was upturned and the whole lot tested…

20140220-231146.jpg

It all worked just fine. Here’s a finished picture…

20140220-232207.jpg

Screwing the castors on whilst in the castoring position seems labour intensive, but once the lathe is assembled, I won’t be moving it much. I timed it; it took 1 minute per screw. Not too long every so often. And it’s a simple solution.

The final operation is to finish and protect.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Hinge was missing her Bracket…

  1. I have been following these posts with interest. Keep up the good work. With regards to using Maple it is a challenging material to work with.

  2. Thanks Peter. You’re right about the maple. I was surprised by the amount of tearout when I thought I was planing or chiseling with the grain. On the other hand it’s strong and solid. Probably why it’s used for floors. I’m about to try a scraper on it.

Comments are closed.