Holesome activity…

…I get quite annoyed by people who are no good at proofreeding…

Time to drill some holes. These Maple Feet will be secured to The Base (should I call it “Al Qaeda”?) with some M12 bolts and lock nuts. A recess has to be drilled on the underside to allow the Foot to sit flush on the floor.

First I measured between centres on each foot on The Base. Then I transferred this to each Maple Foot in turn because each set of feet in The Base was slightly further apart. So each Maple Foot would be custom fit to its Base counterpart.

I set up my Hand Cranked Pillar Drill in an unusual configuration, using a reference block to increase the height, and swinging the assembly to the outside to set up easier…

20140208-223611.jpg
A 28mm Forstner bit is fitted and this will create a flat bottomed recess to take the nut.

It was quite tough to turn the handle. I had to frequently stop to melt some beeswax on the bit to lubricate it, and to descend the bit at just the right rate or the bit would stall. Eventually I ended up with this…

20140208-224242.jpg
It didn’t take long to drill all four recesses.

Next I turned the Maple Feet the right way up and fitted a 1/2 inch auger to the pillar drill…

20140208-224547.jpg
…and drilled through, ending up with this…

20140208-224656.jpg
Both Maple Feet were then bolted to the base, temporarily. The bolts protruded, so a mark was made on each, and each bolt was cut to length…

20140208-225145.jpg
…the ends smoothed with a file…

20140208-225339.jpg
…and the Maple Feet assembled to test for flush…

20140208-225930.jpg
Both Maple Feet assembled…

20140208-230143.jpg
They’re still not quite finished. The edges still need to be chamfered, the surfaces cleaned up with the scraper and they need oiling for protection. But before all that, the castors need to be fitted. That’s the next post or two.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Holesome activity…

  1. I should have the Maple Feet finished this week. As for the lathe itself, I can’t say.

    I don’t want to take forever about it, hence the decision not to repaint it. That would just add a lot of time. I want to use the lathe as soon as possible.

    Interestingly, doing this blog helps to keep me at it!

Comments are closed.