Base desires…

…who of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his life span…

On reflecting on what to do next, it struck me that I should begin with the base – or stand – and its oil tray. This will mean that as I clean parts, having cleaned the base, I can reassemble as I go.

This is the base before cleaning…

20140122-112427.jpg

20140122-112447.jpg

20140122-112459.jpg

20140122-112512.jpg
First I washed it all over with Gunk and let it sit for a while. Then, using a couple of brillo pads, I scrubbed it. Then I rinsed with copious amounts of very hot water, then dried it as much as possible with old dish towels. Then I put it in the workshop, next to a heater, to dry.

Here’s some pictures after cleaning…

20140122-112720.jpg

20140122-112729.jpg

20140122-112740.jpg

20140122-112750.jpg
What this process has revealed is that the paint is in quite poor condition. I don’t know if I can live with such an unsightly lump in my workshop, so I need to consider a new paint job.

Another point is, I want the whole thing to be mobile so that I can move it around the workshop. This will mean some kind of castor system, and this will be easiest to achieve now, before I proceed further…

Advertisements