You’ve made your bed, now lie…

For xmas, my family got me vouchers for ten sessions with a psychiatrist. I was quite annoyed. I’d asked for an axe.

After dismantling, what now?

Looking at the bed, it was caked in gunge in all its nooks and crannies. Some of it was obviously wood dust mixed with oil and some was brass chippings.

There is a liquid called “Gunk” which one can get from Halfords and it’s a degreaser and cleaner. It works great on tools and such like. Quite messy though.

You work it into all the corners with a brush. Then wash it off with water. Dry it immediately to prevent flash rust on the exposed metal slidy bits. I think they’re actually called slidy bits. They are now.

After that, I cleaned off and sanded down all the flaky paint. I also sanded the slidy bits with fine wet and dry. Oiled the slidy bits.

Here’s what the bed looks like now:

20131231-125745.jpg

This is a picture of the saddle – which slides on the slidy bits – showing some wood dust in a slot:

20131231-130439.jpg

This saddle fits over the slidy bits, which run bottom left to top right, and the wheel engages a rack to move it along. Needs cleaning.

Advertisements

Next, a first picture…

Before I dismantled the lathe, I should’ve taken a picture of it. But I didn’t. I didn’t know I was going to do a blog, did I? These things don’t always happen in the right order.

So now it’s in bits in the workshop. A pile of bits makes for a bad picture, so I thought I would get a picture from the operators manual…

20131229-180023.jpg

This is the basic version. Mine has a leadscrew gearbox mounted just to the right of item number 4 – encompassing the left end of the leadscrew – and a leadscrew adjust wheel mounted on the leadscrew at the right hand end. This is to turn the leadscrew by hand. But, it doesn’t have the “1466 Countershaft Clutch” – the lever that the “1” seems to point at.

Apart from that, it’s the same. Mine even has the stand to put it on.

Actually, as I was dismantling it, I did take some crude pictures with my iPhone as I went along. These were of the positions of various parts, screws, bolts, etc so that I can remember where they came from.

Every part was removed, so that I’m left with the basic “bed”. Even all the electrics in the stand were photographed and removed.

The next post will have some better pictures.